Saturday, May 2, 2015

Moab: An Adventurers Paradise


Moab is the most diverse place I've been so far, in terms of the types of adventure to be had. I have been there at least 25 times, and I still have only scratched the surface of the opportunities that exist in this adventuring mecca. 


Many adventurers participated on this trip, including Mary, Kevin, Megan, Brandon, Melanie, Brent, Christa, a bunch of kiddos, and a few other friends.

We set up camp at the usual spot. This is the 9th or 10th time we camped in this location,  Just off Mill Canyon Road, a few miles north of town near the airport. 


Kevin, Christa and I decided to take a bike ride... the clouds looming in the distance wouldn't be avoided, though we stayed relatively dry. 

The Bar M trails were pretty nice. Miles upon miles of riding at this trailhead. 
Views typical of the Bar M trail network.


Made it all the way to the viewpoint on the Porcupine Rim trail. Its very rugged, but the views left us smiling
The Smiles didn't last long, as Christa fell victim to the ruggedness of Porcupine Rim

Castle Valley from Porcupine. Couldn't stop staring. 




The next morning, Brandon invited us to explore Corona Arch with him. the Cacti were in full bloom showing off my favorite of the deserts beauties. 
Corona Arch stays hidden pretty well against the backdrop, but as soon as blue sky becomes visible, the arch proves to be one of the most spectacular of the hundreds i've seen. 



to the immediate southwest of Corona Arch lies this skylight style arch. I wanna rappel into it. 


Of course we took the opportunity to pose as we rapped off Corona Arch


Some hikers decided to attempt to climb the outside of the arch, which proved to be more challenging than they expected.
Brandon and I were called in to be the rescue squad, and we were able to get them down without incident.


Search and Rescue arrived just after we helped the hikers off the cliff. They picked Brandon's brain about his rescue method of choice. 

After the adventure we headed into Moab and got dinner and the obligatory hat at the t-shirt shop on main street, to commemorate another successful adventure. 


No comments:

Post a Comment